The City of Kirkland has just released the following regarding construction on Central Way and 6th Street:
Project: Central Way and 6th Street Intersection Improvements
What: We are pleased to report that the construction contract for Central Way and 6th Street Intersection Improvements has been awarded to Sanders General Construction. The project is funded by a $2 million State of Washington Community Trade and Economic Development Grant and $50,000 from the City's Capital Improvement Program. The City is seeking funding for phase two which will include public art and additional gateway enhancements.
Why: This project will install multiple upgrades to the intersection to increase efficiency and enhance the experience for visitors, businesses, employees and residents.
When: Construction is scheduled to begin Monday, April 4th and is expected to be complete by early July, 2011. Work hours are scheduled between 7:00 am and 6:00 pm each week day; and 9:00 am to 3:30 pm within the roadway. There may be no parking signs and other construction preparations on site as early as Friday, April 1st.
What to Expect:
- Using the latest roadway construction techniques, the City and contractor will minimize impacts and limit night time work and full closures of the intersection. There will be advanced notice of any scheduled night time work and intersection closures.
Advanced notice of road closures, parking restrictions and utility shutdowns:
- Adjacent properties will be notified well in advance of road closures and planned utility shutdowns.
- No-parking signs will be posted 24 hours in advance of all parking restrictions.
- Traffic control and flagging operations will be in effect.
- Emergency vehicle access will be maintained throughout the construction process.
- The contractor is required to backfill and/or cover their work at the end of each day so there will be no open trenches left over night.
Easy access to information:
- Obtain current and up to date information: go to www.ci.kirkland.wa.us and search Central Way & 6th Street.
- Call the construction hotline for updates: (425) 587-3838.
- Contact us, if you have questions or comments.
How You Can Help: Once again, thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation as we make improvements to this important intersection. We will continue to keep you updated as the project progresses.