If you use I-405, plan on travel in and through Kirkland to be disrupted due to reconstruction of the NE 116th Street interchange with I-405 which starts this spring and wont be completed until December 2012. The purpose of the project is to improve traffic flow at this busy interchange in Kirkland, especially west of the freeway where traffic back-ups are notorious during the morning and evening commutes. In addition to adding lanes to NE 116th Street near I-405, this project will:
- reconstruct the off-ramp from northbound I-405 and the on-ramp to southbound I-405 at NE 116th Street from a traditional interchange configuration to more efficient single-point urban interchange;
- rebuild the structure over the port-owned BNSF rail line;
- build a sidewalk for pedestrians and a bike lane in each direction of NE 116th Street under I-405;
- improve traffic signals at the NE 116th Street and 120th Avenue NE intersections.
Why is WSDOT constructing this project? These improvements will help alleviate congestion during the morning and afternoon commute at the NE 116th Street interchange in Kirkland.
The End Result The reconfigured interchange and roadway improvements increase safety, reduce delays and improve access to and from Kirkland.
- Safety: Improves safety by reconfiguring the traffic signals at the intersection of NE 116th Street and 120th Avenue NE. The project constructs a new sidewalk on the south side of NE 116th and bike lanes in each direction of the NE 116th Street under I-405.
- Congestion Relief: The improvements add capacity and efficiency for vehicles exiting and entering I-405. The added lanes on NE 116th Street increase capacity and reduce congestion.
- Environment: WSDOT's I-405 Corridor Program team is designing the project to avoid and minimize impacts to the environment.
What is the project timeline? Bid opening: February 2, 2011 Begin Construction: March/April 2011 End Construction: December 2012
The information shown below reflects the current proposed project budget and schedule. The 2010 Legislature may consider changes to the transportation budget that may include adjustments to some project budgets and schedules.
- Nickel Funds - $17.0M
For more information, including a diagram of the improvements on the NE 116th St Interchange and Street Improvement Project, please visit: www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/I405/NE116thInterchange.