On January 1st red light and school speed zone cameras will be active in Redmond. For the first month, violators will be sent a warning if a violation occurs. Citations will be issued beginning on February 1st. Here are the locations:
Red Light Cameras
148th Ave NE and Redmond Way- Eastbound on Redmond Way 156th Ave NE and NE 40th St- Eastbound on NE 40th St Westbound on NE 40th St
Union Hill Rd and Avondale Rd- Westbound on Union Hill Rd Northbound on Avondale Rd School Speed Zone Cameras Einstein Elementary -- 18025 NE 116th St (There are yellow beacons at this location when active) East/Westbound combined 8:30 to 9:15 am 3:30 to 4:00 pm
Several things to note….
1. This is a pilot program. Throughout 2011 we’ll be looking at statistics to see if these are accomplishing our goal, if violations have increased/decreased, if traffic accidents have increased/decreased, etc.
2. Most questions are addressed on the Redmond city website, so be sure to check that out. (And in a few days, you’ll be able to see our NEW city website!)
3. If you’re issued a citation, you can view video footage online.
4. Citations are the same as they would be if an officer stopped you, which is $124.
5. Violations are considered a civil infraction and are not reported to insurance agencies or DMV.
6. All camera locations will be clearly signed.
7. Fees collected go towards the safety camera pilot program. If there is additional revenue, it will be used for public safety purposes.
Bottom-line here is that nothing has changed—laws remain the same, citation fees remain the same, and your right to pay the fine/request a hearing/submit an affidavit if issued a citation remains the same. Whether you receive a citation or not is up to you! The good news is: if you’re a safe, cautious driver then you have nothing to worry about.
For more information, please visit http://www.redmond.gov/safetycameras/