Cascade Board Vice President Redmond Mayor John Marchione accepted the award
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has named three organizations and one individual as WaterSense Partners of the Year for their exceptional efforts in promoting water efficiency and WaterSense labeled products. The WaterSense program helps to protect the future of our nation's water supply by offering people a simple way to use less water with water-efficient products, new homes, and services.
“These partners contributed significantly to our efforts to make WaterSense labeled products a household fixture in 2009,” said Peter S. Silva, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Water. “They also helped consumers who purchased these products save 36 billion gallons of water and more than $267 million in water and sewer bills in 2009.”
The partners of the year are:
• Promotional Partner of the Year: Cascade Water Alliance, King County, Washington
• Manufacturer Partner of the Year: Moen Incorporated
• Retailer Partner of the Year: Lowe’s Companies, Inc.
• Irrigation Partner of the Year: Judy Benson of Clear Water Products and Services, Inc. (Clear Water PSI), Florida
Following are just a few of the ways that WaterSense Partners of the Year helped consumers save water in 2009:
• Cascade Water Alliance collaborated with retailers and plumbers to promote water efficiency in the Puget Sound region and rebated more than 3,000 WaterSense labeled toilets for households and local businesses.
• Moen earned the WaterSense label for all of its 267 bathroom faucet fixtures, ensuring availability of water-saving faucets for consumers at every price point, and garnered significant national media attention for WaterSense.
• Lowe’s launched a “Build Your Savings” program to help customers select products that save energy, water, and money, winning WaterSense Retail/Distributor Partner of the Year for the second year in a row.
• Judy Benson educated businesses and consumers on outdoor water efficiency and encouraged other irrigation professionals in the central Florida region to partner with WaterSense.
This year, WaterSense expanded its Partner of the Year awards program to include its first ever Excellence Awards, which recognize additional organizations and individuals whose WaterSense support stood out in one or more of the evaluation categories. Winners of the Excellence Awards are listed on the WaterSense website.
More information on all the WaterSense award winners: http://www.epa.gov/watersense