For the City of Kirkland, the impacts of the recession are still being felt. Preliminary estimates for the 2011-2012 Budget point to a $6 to $7 million “gap” between available revenues and estimated expenditures. Despite the actions taken in the last budget cycle to reduce costs, economic conditions have not improved enough to continue to provide the services at today’s levels. The City Manager and department staff are in the process of developing a budget recommendation which will be presented to the City Council in late October. Each department has been instructed to prepare budget reductions equal to 5 percent of their General Fund budget which will result in staff and service reductions.
The City Council is committed to keeping the public informed about the budget challenges that lie ahead and seeking early and continuing input. You can stay informed and be involved by:
- Visiting the City’s Budget website for background information.
- Addressing the City Council at its public hearings or regular meetings where the Budget is discussed.
- Watching City Council meetings on the City’s cable channel (Comcast Channel 21, Verizon Channel 31) or on-line through the website.
- Providing input to the City Council about your priorities and concerns by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Watching for the next edition of City Update, the City’s newsletter, that will be published in early October.
- Participating in upcoming neighborhood association meetings.
The City Council will hold its first public hearing on the Budget and the proposed Capital Improvement Program (CIP) on Tuesday, September 21 at 7:30 p.m., Kirkland City Hall Council Chambers, 123 5th Avenue. You are invited to comment on the City’s revenue sources, such as taxes and fees, and on service priorities for the coming year.
The City budget process determines the types and levels of services that we can provide to you in the future. Your input is vital to ensure that the community’s priorities are understood and reflected in the budget.
Please contact the Finance & Administration Department at 425-587-3100 should you have any questions about the 2011-2012 Budget, 2011-2106 CIP or upcoming City Council meetings.