Kirkland Fire Dept. | One House Lost, Another Damaged by Fire

Fire Crews Prevent Loss of Second Home

What: Firefighters from 4 fire departments responded to a fire yesterday that started in a one story, single family house and spread through tall trees behind the house, into the second floor and attic crawlspace of a neighboring house.

When Firefighters arrived at the scene, the first home was fully engulfed in fire, with flames shooting at least 40 feet in the air. As the fire was limited to the eaves and beginning into the second story of the neighboring home, crews immediately attacked the fire there, from within and outside the house. With only minutes to spare, Firefighters controlled the fire and the fire damage was limited to the second floor and above.

The first house was burned to the ground. The roof was burned out and the vinyl siding melted on three sides of the second house. The second story of this home was severely damaged by fire, smoke and water. The first floor was damaged, heavily in areas, by water and smoke. Firefighters helped protect the homeowners’ artwork and other treasured belongings from further damage by covering it with tarps and plastic or by moving some of it to a safer area.

Who: 50 Firefighters in 23 fire units responded to the fire. They represented the cities of Kirkland, Redmond, Woodinville and Bellevue. Personnel at the scene included the Kirkland Fire Chief and Deputy Chief of Operations. Kirkland Police Department provided traffic control outside the properties.

The first home, a rental, was vacant and unoccupied since January, while the owners decided to repair or tear down the structure. In the prior week three adults and a juvenile who had set up temporary living quarters in the home were arrested and evicted from the premises.

The owners of the second house were at home, but escaped without injury, as did their pets. Two dogs left with them, while the cat had to be rescued by firefighters. The couple spent the night with neighbors.

A crew of Reserve Firefighters remained at the site overnight.

When: The fire took place on Wednesday, July 14, 2010. It was called in at 9:20 p.m. and the first fire crews arrived at 9:26 p.m. The fire was extinguished in approximately 40-45 minutes.

Where: Both homes are located in the 12800 block of NE 70th Place, in Kirkland.

Cost: An estimate put the monetary loss at $250K for the first house and $250-500K for the second house. Contents loss has not been determined.

Cause: The fire investigation began this morning and will continue at least through tomorrow. Cause of fire and area of origin will be reported as soon as they have been determined.

Contacts: Fire issues – Robin Paster, PIO, 425-587-3659, Police issues – Sgt. Robert Saloum, 4257-3401, (07.15.10)