Map Your Neighborhood (MYN)
A Program to Bring Your Neighborhood Together
Serving the West of Market, Norkirk and Highlands Neighborhoods of Kirkland
Sunday, May 23rd from 7:00-8:30 p.m. at Peter Kirk Elementary School Gymnasium
Disasters, by definition, are events that overwhelm police, fire, and medical 911 emergency responders. MYN helps us organize a timely response to disaster when 911 is unavailable. All of us, working together, can reduce the serious consequences of disaster in our own neighborhoods.
During the meeting, you will…
- Learn the 9 steps to Take Immediately Following a Disaster.
- Develop a Neighborhood Skills and Equipment Inventory.
- Map your neighborhood and identify areas of concerns such as utility locations.
- Verify which neighbors need extra help in a disaster such as the elderly, those with disabilities, or children.
BONUS! Everyone will take home a MYN Guide including: • your neighborhood map • contact list • skills & equipment inventory for your neighborhood
- serving as a model for City of Kirkland to replicate
- event serving West of Market, Norkirk and Highlands neighborhoods (around 3,500 households = estimated 10,000 people)
- expecting 350-500 people in attendance
- volunteers hand-delivering invitations
- using Map Your Neighborhood program developed by Washington State Emergency Management Public Education division
- PSE providing employee to show / explain gas meters (and possible funding to City as grant for event)
- Hopelink in attendance
- Medic car and Fire Engine scheduled to be on site
- Police presence to assist with traffic
- both State Representative Roger Goodman and Deputy Mayor Penny Sweet will be in attendance
WHEN: Sunday, May 23rd from 7:00-8:30 p.m. WHERE: Peter Kirk Elementary School Gymnasium 1312 6th Street, Kirkland, WA 98033 RSVPs are encouraged--contact Project Coordinator: Liv Grohn at (425) 736-8011 or by email at email@example.com
Additional Help and Information…
- MYN Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- MYN Natural Gas Shut Off (PDF)
- MYN Propane Gas Shut Off (PDF)
- MYN Water and Electric Shut Off (PDF)
- MYN Fire Extinguisher Safety (PDF) and P.A.S.S. (Video)
- MYN Basic Search and Rescue Procedures (PDF)