The City of Kirkland, Kirkland Heritage Society and a citizens committee responsible for restoring the Captain Anderson Ferry Clock and Kirkland resident Barbara Loomis received Certificates of Designation “for their work to nominate, designate and care for historic properties within their stewardship.” Sue Contreras, Kirkland Park Board Member, accepted the certificate on behalf of the committee that raised funds to restore the 1935 ferry clock to its original condition. The clock is located on Lake Street and Kirkland Avenue. Loomis, owner of an 1889 Queen Anne Cottage style house located on 8th Avenue West, has been carefully restoring the building for over 40 years. She currently operates a licensed bed and breakfast out of the building. The certificates of designation were presented at the 14th Annual King County Executive’s John D. Spellman Awards program for achievement in historic preservation.
The City of Kirkland has an interlocal agreement for landmark designation and protection services with King County. As such, it is one of 22 cities that participate in the King County Regional Preservation Program. For more information on this program contact the King County Historic Preservation Program at 206-477-4528. To learn about other historic properties in Kirkland, visit the Washington State Department of Archeology & Historic Preservation at http://www.dahp.wa.gov/ and click to WIZAARD its searchable database.