Kirkland road crews are currently clearing “first priority” roads this morning and have already worked through the night clearing “Priority 2” roadways. Drivers are cautioned to be very careful as icy road conditions continue to exist within the City. Residents are encouraged to clear storm drains of snow and debris to prevent and reduce flooding as the snow begins to melt. Also, residents are asked to ensure clear access to water meters.
Road and Sidewalk Maintenance; Road Closures for Friday, January 20, 2012
New road closure and update:
- 1st Street between 3rd Avenue and Central Way is closed.
- Crews removed the downed tree on Juanita Drive at approximately NE 137th Place.
The following roads remain closed
- NE 116th Street from 98th Avenue NE to 104th Avenue NE.
- NE 52nd Street between Lake Washington Boulevard and 108th Avenue.
- NE 97th Street between 112th Avenue NE and 110th Avenue NE.
- 5th Avenue South between Lake Street South and State Street South.
- 5th Place between 15th Avenue and 18th Avenue.
- NE 104th Street between 113th Court NE and 111th Avenue NE.
- Several steep slope roads are currently closed; including the side streets off Market Street from 10th Avenue north to 19th Avenue.
- 13800 block of Holmes Point Drive is closed due to a fallen tree in the roadway.
City Facilities & Program Cancellations for Friday, January 20, 2012
- City Hall is open until 5 p.m.
- Kirkland Municipal Court is closed.
- Peter Kirk Community Center is closed.
- North Kirkland Community Center is closed.
- City recreation programs and classes are cancelled.
Garbage/Recycling Collection Service for Friday, January 20, 2012
Waste Management (WM) is not servicing any routes today in Kirkland. WM will collect up to twice the regular amount of recycling, garbage and food and yard waste on customers’ next regular service day. Customers should check WM’s “Weatherboard” for collection service notices and updates at http://wmnorthwest.com/weatherboard.html or call 800-592-9995.
Residents and Businesses Are Encouraged to Help
- Call 9-1-1 for life emergencies only.
- To report fallen trees in the roadway, call Kirkland Public Works Maintenance Line at 425-587-3900 (24 hours).
- To report a fallen power line or power outage, call Puget Sound Energy at 1-888-225-5773.
- To report structural damage, call the Kirkland Building Department at 425-587-3600.
- Keep storm drains clear of snow and debris to allow for water to properly drain, reducing flooding.
- Uncover water meters for ease of access.
- Be prepared for flooding and find preparedness information at www.takewinterbystorm.org
- Be aware of the potential of carbon monoxide poisoning. For prevention information, go to the State Department of Health website at www.doh.wa.gov and select “Winter Weather.”
- Property owners adjacent to sidewalks are responsible for keeping them clear of snow and debris.
Weekend Recreation Cancellation for Saturday, January 21 and Sunday, January 22, 2012
All Youth Basketball games and Open Gym programs in Lake Washington School Distirct facilities are cancelled. Persons registered for weekend programs at the North Kirkland and Peter Kirk Community Centers should check the status of classes by calling the Recreation Hotline at 425-587-3335.