Kirkland road crews worked through the night clearing “first priority” roads near Evergreen Hospital and roads that lead to and from I-405, transit routes, schools, and fire stations. Crews are transitioning to “Priority 2” roadways this morning. Drivers are cautioned to be very careful as severe icy road conditions exist within the City. Drivers are encouraged to avoid steep roads and to find alternate routes. Due to the amount of snow, some branches and trees are starting to topple under the load. To report fallen trees in the roadway, call the Public Works Maintenance Line at 425-587-3900 (24 hours). To report a fallen power line or power outage, call Puget Sound Energy at 1-888-225-5773.
Road and Sidewalk Maintenance; Road Closures
The tree blocking the road at NE 38th Place and 108th Avenue NE has been cleared and the roadway is open. Puget Sound Energy has been notified to remove the tree down at the 13800 block of Holmes Point Drive.
The following roads remain closed
- NE 116th Street from 98th Avenue NE to 104th Avenue NE (correction from last update)
- NE 52nd Street between Lake Washington Boulevard and 108th Avenue.
- NE 97th Street between 112th Avenue NE and 110th Avenue NE.
- 5th Avenue between Lake Street South and State Street South.
- 5th Place between 15th Avenue and 18th Avenue.
- NE 104th Street between 113th Court NE and 111th Avenue NE.
- Several steep slope roads are currently closed; including the side streets off Market Street from 10th Avenue north to 19th Avenue.
City Facilities & Program Cancellations for Thursday, January 19, 2012
- City Hall is open with limited staff.
- Kirkland Municipal Court is closed.
- Peter Kirk Community Center is open.
- North Kirkland Community Center is closed.
- City recreation programs and classes are cancelled.
Garbage/Recycling Collection Service for Thursday, January 19, 2012
Waste Management (WM) is not servicing any routes today in Kirkland. WM will collect up to twice the regular amount of recycling, garbage and food and yard waste on customers’ next regular service day. Customers should check WM’s “Weatherboard” for collection service notices and updates at http://wmnorthwest.com/weatherboard.html or call 800-592-9995.
Citizens’ Help Needed
- Property owners adjacent to sidewalks are responsible for keeping them clear of snow and debris.
- Property owners are asked to keep storm drains clear of snow and debris to allow for water to properly drain; reducing flooding.
- Residents should prepare for possible local flooding as temperatures warm causing the snow to melt.
Meeting Cancellation for Thursday, January 19, 2012
Tonight’s community reception hosted by the City of Kirkland and Lake Washington School District to meet Dr. Traci Pierce, candidate for Superintendent, is cancelled.