Project: NE 68th Street and 108th Avenue Intersection Improvements
What: The City’s contractor Sanders Construction will be building intersection improvements at NE 68th Street and 108th Avenue NE. The planned improvements will reduce congestion by installing a new westbound to northbound right turn lane on 68th Street and modify turning radiuses at all corners of the intersection to improve right turn movements. In addition, sidewalk and curb enhancements will be made at all four corners of the intersection to improve pedestrian safety and safe school walk route (please see attached Project Notice with diagram on back). The project funding is a combination of City transportation and surface water funds, and a Sound Transit contribution.
When: The first phase of construction included the removal of the large cedar tree in preparation for the relocation of Puget Sound Energy (PSE) power poles adjacent to the intersection. PSE is scheduled to start relocation work the week of August 22 and be complete within approximately two weeks. The intersection and signal improvements by Sanders Construction are scheduled to begin this fall and are expected to be complete by the end of the year. Typical work hours are between 7:00 am and 6:00 pm.
What to Expect: The following is an outline of basic construction practices:
Advanced notice of parking restrictions and utility shutdowns:
· Adjacent properties will be notified well in advance of utility shutdowns, if any.
· No-parking signs will be posted 24 hours in advance of all parking restrictions.
· Possible one lane closures. Traffic control and flagging operations will be in effect.
· Emergency vehicle access will be maintained throughout the construction process.
· The contractor is required to backfill and/or cover their work at the end of each day so there will be no open trenches left over night.
· Garbage/recycling pick-up locations and schedules will remain the same unless special notification is issued by the contractor.
· The contractor will be coordinating with the postal service so mail delivery is not impacted.
Easy access to information:
· Obtain current information: Project Web Site
· Call the construction hotline for updates: (425) 587-3838.
· Contact us with questions or comments (see below).
How You Can Help: Once again, thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation as we make improvements to this important intersection. We will continue to keep you updated as the project progresses.
Project Engineer: Denise Pirolo, P.E., (425) 587-3830 DPirolo@kirklandwa.gov
Outreach Coordinator: Kari Page, (425) 587-3011 KPage@kirklandwa.gov