Kirkland had the main ferry dock and only hospital on the Eastside for decades so Kirkland was considered the hub of the Eastside. But DID YOU KNOW that in the early 1870’s, Juanita was the hub? The 1880 census lists the inhabitants of Redmond, Houghton and Juanita in the Juanita Precinct. The census was only three pages but Juanita was the core of the rural eastside. Until 1888, there was no Kirkland. Those residents were Houghtonites before Peter Kirk’s arrival.
Juanita had a steamer dock and shingle mill. They did business in Seattle and Bothell. Most of Juanita’s early pioneers are buried in the Bothell Pioneers Cemetery. It was not until Kirkland was founded that the Juanita Bay Bridge was built so Juanita could enjoy the benefits of this new boomtown.
The earliest known recorded history of the name Juanita is 1873 when Harry French wrote in his diary that he visited Juanita Bay. Again in 1873, Mr. French visited with Mrs. Terry at her farm in Juanita. This is Mary Terry and she has been credited with naming Juanita. Mrs. Terry died in 1875. Mrs. Terry was the widow of Charles Terry who with the Denny party founded Seattle. Like the Denny family, the Terry family had land on the eastside. Juanita was a hot spot.
Juanita was named Hubbard for several years but went back to Juanita in 1886. This has confused history buffs that knew Mrs. Terry named Juanita but she had died long before 1886. With most errors, there are valid reasons for the confusion. In 1886, Hubbard went back to its original name.
Loita Hawkinson, President, Kirkland Heritage Society reporting.