Have you visited downtown Kirkland lately? Things are really hopping. Like many cities hit hard by the economic downturn, Kirkland's downtown core has seen its share of store closings. But during the past few months, a new wave of vitality has washed over this business district on the shore of Lake Washington.
New shops and restaurants seem to be opening in right and left. Parts of downtown Kirkland are blossoming into a revitalized business district. For the most part, this revitalization is not the due to new development, rather the backfilling pre-existing vacant retail space.
While many fix their gaze firmly to the north toward Kirkland's newly annexed areas of Finn Hill, North Juanita and Kingsgate, they best not forget about downtown Kirkland. Great things are happening in downtown Kirkland, the de facto tourist district.
Here are a few of the additions to downtown over the past few months and some new ones on the near horizon:
- Kirkland Chamber of Commerce / Visitor Center - Home to the Greater Kirkland Chamber of Commerce & the Kirkland Downtown Association (223 Kirkland Ave.)
- Unique Plus - one-of-a-kind kid's shop (219 Kirkland Ave.)
- Fireflies LLC (212 Central Way) Small bar and small bites by the folks who bring us Lynn's Bistro
- Milagro Cantina (148 Lake Street S.) Authentic Mexican food and summertime al fresco dining
- Tully's Coffee (Lake Street and Kirkland Ave.) Returns to downtown
- Bank of America (Lake Street and Kirkland Ave.)
- The 101 (101 Kirkland Ave.) Luxury apartments in the heart of downtown
- Transit Center (3rd Street between Central Way and Kirkland Ave.)
- Kirkland Wednesday Market (New Location on Park Lane) Local, fresh fruits and vegetables
- Pho Tai (Park Lane and Main Street) Vietnamese cuisine
- Sirena Gelato (109 Park Lane) Authentic Italian gelato
- Classic Kids Photography (120 Central Way)
- Amici Pizzeria e Ristorante (7 Lake Shore Plaza)
- spakrista (New location at Lake Shore Plaza) Spa services
- Lake Street Mall (15 Lake Street)
- Asher (13 Central Way) Fine men's clothing
- Remedies Pharmacy (140 Central Way)
- Dozo Sushi & Dining (206 Main Street)