Community Encouraged to Participate in Nationwide Event on March 26
The City of Kirkland, Washington is joining more than 1,500 communities worldwide in officially supporting Earth Hour 2011. Kirkland residents and businesses are encouraged to “turn out and switch off” lights on Saturday, March 26, from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. (local time). Earth Hour is a global climate awareness event led by the World Wildlife Fund (www.worldwildlife.org). Where feasible, the City will dim or turn off lights at City facilities, including parks. World Wildlife Fund suggests the following ways to reduce your carbon footprint during the event:
- Organize Earth Hour party with your neighbors.
- Gather family and friends for a night picnic in your local park and look at the stars.
- Enjoy a family dinner by candlelight.
- Organize a treasure hunt in the dark.
- Take the dog for a night walk.
- Sit in the dark and share stories.
- Organize a family night playing board games.