Project: Central Way and 6th Street Intersection Improvements Coming in April
What: This project will install multiple upgrades to the intersection to increase efficiency and enhance the experience for visitors, businesses, employees and residents. For more information on project details go to the Project Web Site. The project is funded by a $2 million State of Washington Community Trade and Economic Development Grant and $50,000 from the City's Capital Improvement Program.
When: Expedited construction is expected to start in April and be complete by the end of June, 2011. The City is seeking funding for phase two which will include public art and additional gateway enhancements.
What to Expect:
- Puget Sound Energy (PSE) work is anticipated to take approximately two weeks and begin in late January.
- Using the latest roadway construction techniques, the new concrete road surface is scheduled to be installed by closing the intersection entirely for two to three weekends as opposed to the typical fifteen weeks.
Advanced notice of road closures, parking restrictions and utility shutdowns:
- Businesses will be notified well in advance of road closures and planned utility shutdowns.
- No-parking signs will be posted 24 hours in advance of all parking restrictions.
- Traffic control and flagging operations will be in effect.
- Emergency vehicle access will be maintained throughout the construction process.
Easy access to information:
- Obtain current and up to date information on the project web site.
- Call the construction hotline for updates: (425) 587-3838.
- Contact us, if you have questions or comments.
Rendering courtesy City of Kirkland