Kirkland Update #3: Kirkland Avenue Partial Closure
Kirkland road maintenance crews continue to monitor road conditions and have closed Kirkland Avenue from Railroad Avenue to Slater and NE 121st Street at 108th Avenue. To view the City’s snow/ice removal priority map, please visit click here. To report road hazards within Kirkland city limits, please call 425-587-3900.
In coordination with the Lake Washington School District school closures, recreation programs and classes offered by the City are cancelled and the North Kirkland and Peter Kirk Community Centers are closed.
It is anticipated that the Kirkland Municipal Court will be open on Wednesday, November 24, 2010, however, court customers are encouraged to call the Court after 8:30 a.m. at 425-587-3160 to confirm the status of services.
Kirkland Update #2: Additional Road Closures, Safety Tips
Kirkland road maintenance crews continue to monitor road conditions and have closed the hilly streets at 5th Avenue South, east of Lake Street South and NE 52nd Street from 108th Avenue NE to Lake Washington Boulevard. To view the City’s snow/ice removal priority map, please visit www.ci.kirkland.wa.us. To report road hazards within Kirkland city limits, please call 425-587-3900.
- Commercial and residential property owners are reminded that they are responsible for keeping sidewalks in front of homes and businesses clear of snow and other debris. (Kirkland Municipal Code 19.20)
- Track weather conditions through the National Weather Service at www.weather.gov/seattle.
- Remember to use alternate heat sources safely and wisely. Follow all manufacturers’ instructions on use, and maintenance.
- Report power outages to Puget Sound Energy at 1-888-225-5773.
- Do not use gas ovens, gas ranges, barbecues or portable or propane heaters for indoor heating—they use oxygen and create carbon monoxide that can cause suffocation.
o For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning, using a generator during a power outage and other safety tips, go to Washington State Emergency Management at www.emd.wa.gov or Public Health King County-Seattle at www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/preparedness/disaster/carbon-monoxide. Multiple languages available including Vietnamese, Spanish and Korean.
Kirkland Update #1: Steep Roads Closed, Kirkland Municipal Court and Recreation Classes Cancelled
Due to inclement weather, the Kirkland Municipal Court is closed today and City recreation programs and classes are cancelled. Court cases scheduled for today, in-custody matters, and all probation appointments will be rescheduled. Court customers can call Kirkland Municipal Court at 425-587-3160 or the Probation Department at 425-587-3189, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for updates. Recreation customers can call Kirkland Parks & Recreation at 425-587-3335 for updates.
Other Kirkland updates:
- Kirkland City Hall is open for business with limited staff.
- There are no major road closures in Kirkland city limits; however streets that are hilly and prone to hazards are closed in accordance with the City’s snow/ice removal priority system. Crews are continuing to assess road conditions which will most likely prompt additional closures in the coming hours. The following roads are currently closed:
- Side streets between Market Street and 6th Street
- NE 116th Street from 98th Avenue NE to 104th Avenue NE
- 2nd Avenue South off of Lake Street South
- 9400 block of 131st Way near Juanita Elementary
- The North Kirkland Community Center and Peter Kirk Community Center are closed; recreation classes are cancelled.
- The City has not received reports of power outages within city limits.
- Limited building inspections will be conducted today. Applicants will be notified any rescheduled inspections.
- Waste Management has cancelled service for Tuesday, November, 23. Customers missed today will be serviced double load next week. Contact Waste Management at 1-800-592-9995 (Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.) or visit http://www.wmnorthwest.com/weatherboard.html.
- Most city administrative offices will be closed tomorrow due to furlough.
City Emergency Public Information:
- Go to www.ci.kirkland.wa.us/emergency
- Watch to KGOV Channel 21 (Comcast Channel 31, Verizon Channel 32) and KLIFE Channel 75 (Comcast Channel 32, Verizon Channel 33). Available to City of Kirkland residents and online at www.ci.kirkland.wa.us.
- Subscribe to the Neighborhood EBulletin to receive email updates. To subscribe to the e-bulletin, go to www.ci.kirkland.wa.us/E-Bulletins and click on the “Kirkland Email Alerts” icon.
- To receive regional emergency news alerts, subscribe to the Regional Public Information Network (RPIN) at www.rpin.org.
Eastside Interfaith Social Concerns Council is operating a severe weather shelter Tuesday, November 23 and Wednesday, November 24 in the evening hours. The shelter is located at the Crossroads Community Center, 16000 NE 10th Street, Bellevue, WA. Please call 425-614-8544 prior to arriving at the shelter.