The time on the clock dial read 1:33 when the hands on the old Captain Anderson Ferry Clock at the corner of Lake Street and Kirkland Avenue last moved. The year they last moved is unknown. The old clock had been repaired, replaced and painted many times over the past 78 years.
In 2012, a citizen committee lead by Sue Contreras and including the Kirkland Heritage Society, took on the challenge to restore the historic 1935 ferry clock. The restoration of the city-owned clock was accomplished with the help of nearly 250 citizens, organizations and businesses. City of Kirkland Public Works crews found metal cabinet in which the clock was housed to be badly deteriorated so it was removed as crews upgraded the light standard on which the restored clock would one day again be installed.
That day is drawing near. The Captain Anderson Ferry Clock will be rededicated to the citizens of Kirkland on Sunday, February 10th at 1:00 PM. The unveiling of the clock, restored to its original 1935 condition, will be held at the corner of Lake Street and Kirkland Avenue.
This event is open to the public.