Norkirk is a neighborhood in Kirkland that is north of Kirkland and east of Market. It is home to Crestwoods Park, Reservoir Park, Van Aalst Park and Tot Lot… commonly known as Turtle Park.
But DID YOU KNOW that this community was originally called Capitol Hill?
So far we have not learned when or why the name was changed to Norkirk. Norkirk first appears in 1955 when the new Norkirk Elementary School was built on 18th Avenue “North of the Kirkland Business District”. And we do not know who named the community Capitol Hill. The earliest known use in print was in 1918. The name “Capital Hill” was written in a local founder’s diary before 1900. So we must be patient and hope others will share.
The Kirkland Art Center on Market Street is pictured here about 1938. This is a rare photo showing the name Capitol Hill. The photo is from the Arden Olson Collection and shows how a Historical Society cannot possibly have too many photos. Every photo has something to offer.
Loita Hawkinson, President, Kirkland Heritage Society reporting.
All photos published by permission of the Kirkland Heritage Society.